Assignment #3: Professional Letter/Research
Assignment: Write a cover letter designed to accompany your resume in applying for a
particular job or internship in your career field. Alternatively, you may write the
personal statement for a graduate school application.
Goals: a) to conduct preliminary research into your intended profession in
preparation for entering the field;
- b) to select a specific employer/job opening (or academic program) and direct
your writing specifically toward that audience and goal;
- c) to become aware of and gain experience with the information and procedures
required to obtain a career position in your desired field.
Criteria: Successful papers will…
- a) be directed toward a specific, individual audience, setting an appropriate tone
and format, and using any and all relevant information you have about that
audience’s interests, expectations, requirements, etc. to your best advantage.
Note that the length of the letter may vary depending upon these and other
- b) make effective use of your research into both the general field and the
particular institution, organization, or company to which you are applying.
- c) be concise and informative, providing an accurate account of your relevant
experience, skills, and training for the position or program.
- d) flow naturally and be free from technical errors.
- e) have a neat and professional appearance appropriate to the situation.
Drafts: The rough draft should be 1 – 2 pages in length and must be typed, formatted,
and spaced according to the industry standard.
Optional: If you wish to schedule an individual conference to get instructor
feedback on your rough draft, conferences will take place April 28 – May 2.
Required: Rough draft is due at the start of class on Monday, May 5. The
paper will be revised on the basis of small-group workshops, so you will need to
bring copies for your group members.
The final draft should be 1 – 3 pages in length, typed, attached to all rough
drafts and your answers to the career research questions, and placed in the
front pocket of your final notebook, which will be due in my office no later
than Weds., May 14 at 4:00 p.m. On the final draft, highlight all major changes
you have made during revision.
Title; Professional Cover Letter
Length; 2 pages (550 words)