Paper #1: Religion
Revealed and Non-revealed Religions
The rap against Thomas Paine is that people believed and continue to believe that Thomas Paine was an atheist because of his attacks on all revealed religions in his Age of Reason. As we examine Paine’s attitudes about religions, it is helpful to expand our own knowledge about what various religions teach and believe. In this assignment, you are to teach the class about the major elements of the religion you select to explore. Post your paper on the Discussion Board on Blackboard (Christian Scientist)
- Choose a religious belief system from the List of Religions found under “Course Documents,” and write a 2-3 page paper on the religion you select.
- Make sure that in your essay you touch on the points in the Grading Rubric below.
- STYLE: MLA. If there are ANY MLA errors, your grade will be lowered by 1/3.
- Length: two-three pages
- In your essay, you are to summarize what you think of the religion and why; that is, state a claim and prove it from the fact of your research. You are to respond to specific points in the belief system of the religion you select.
- Footnotes and a Bibliography are required. (Not counted as part of the 2-3 pages.)
- Underline your one sentence thesis statement.
Origin? Why was the religion founded?
Who is the head of the religion and how is the head selected?
Is there a belief in an after life?
What role does money play in this religion?
What year did the religion start?
What are the three major beliefs of this religion?
Have any of the 3 beliefs changed over time?
What is this religion’s approach to gay marriage?
Professor Boone’s Essay Requirement Guidelines
Modern Language Association (MLA style)
- Submit all papers in MLA style
- 1” margins top, bottom, left, and right.
- Indent the first line of each paragraph by ½ inch
- Your heading should state:
USE THE ABOVE HEADING ON THE FIRST PAGE OF EVERY HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT
Number the pages: your last name, a space, and then the page number in the upper right hand corner of every page: example. Boone 1
- Give your paper a title, and center that title
- Traditional double spacing (double spaced from top to bottom
- Do not triple space between paragraphs
- Use 12 pt. Font no larger no smaller
- Use a font such as Times New Roman, Comic Sans MS., Bookman Old Style, or Palatino
- Avoid the use of contractions such as don’t, wouldn’t, etc. Write do not, would not, etc.
Title: Christian Scientist
The Beliefs of Christianity as a Religion
Religion is a major part of most human beings and in most cases plays a role in the way they lead their lives. Besides, the teachings of a religion such as Christianity, which many people around the world follow shapes how they relate to other people. As a matter of fact, Christianity is a religion believed to be the first true religion in the world and even though it has changed over time, its followers believe it will lead them to eternal life. Although Christianity teaches that people should love one another and not discriminate against anyone, some Christians refuse to accept gay people. In addition, Christianity has evolved and changed so much that the main believes have changed.
Subsequently, Christianity originated from Jerusalem, a place inhabited by Jews. During the 1st to the 3rd century, Christianity developed from several religions practiced by different people, and was mainly triggered by the teachings of Jesus Christ. Since many people practiced the Manichaeism and the Judaism religion, those who defected and formed Christianity absorbed some of these religion’s practices into the newly formed Christianity (Matson 853). Even though many Jews, especially the rabbis did not believe that Jesus was the son of God as he claimed to be, many of their followers defected from the Jewish religion and followed Christianity.